Obama Bans Earmarks From Stimulus Package
January 6, 2009
Well, it didn’t take long for Obama to break that promise. Or maybe he forgot to tell the Dems who control Congress that pork was banned. Here is a listing of what this pork-laden, useless spending bill contains:
- $1 billion for Amtrak, which hasn’t earned a profit in four decades.
- $2 billion to help subsidize child care.
- $400 million for research into the junk science of global warming.
- $2.4 billion for projects to demonstrate how carbon greenhouse gas can be safely removed from the atmosphere, another junk science project.
- $650 million for coupons to help consumers convert their TV sets from analog to digital, part of the digital TV conversion.
- $600 million to buy a new fleet of cars for federal employees and government departments.
- $75 million to fund programs to help people quit smoking.
- $21 million to re-sod the National Mall, which suffered heavy use during the Inauguration.
- $2.25 billion for national parks. This item has sparked calls for an investigation, because the chief lobbyist of the National Parks Association is the son of Rep. David R. Obey, D-Wisc. The $2,25 billion is about equal to the National Park Service’s entire annual budget. The Washington Times reports it is a threefold increase over what was originally proposed for parks in the stimulus bill. Obey is chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.
- $335 million for treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases.
- $50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts.
- $44 million to renovate the headquarters building of the Agriculture Department.
- $32 billion for a “smart electricity grid to minimize waste.
- $87 billion of Medicaid funds, to aid states. This earmark amounts to the first installment of a Socialized Health Care system just like the disasters that have a hold of Canada and Great Britain.
- $53.4 billion for science facilities, high speed Internet, and miscellaneous energy and environmental programs.
- $13 billion to repair and weatherize public housing, help the homeless, repair foreclosed homes.
- $20 billion for quicker depreciation and write-offs for equipment.
- $10.3 billion for tax credits to help families defray the cost of college tuition.
- $20 billion over five years for an expanded food stamp program.
Not to mention the potential $5 billion for ACORN to commit more voter-fraud.
Filed under: Economy, Government, Politics | Tagged: ACORN, Amtrak, Barack Obama, David R. Obey, earmarks, Medicaid, pork, spending bill, stimulus, Voter Fraud | Leave a Comment »